Skip to main content
[Antigua] Vue de Cedarhall dans l'Isle d'Antigon auz Indes occidentales. After STOBWASSER.

[Antigua] Vue de Cedarhall dans l'Isle d'Antigon auz Indes occidentales

[Pl. 4] Basel, Switzerland: Birmann & Fils, au profit des missions évangéliques, [circa 1830]. Hand-coloured aquatint, engraved by Hurlimann after a drawing by L. Stobwasser. Very good condition apart from some very minor foxing and a few light pencil marks in the margins. Image size (including text): 8 5/8 x 11 inches. Sheet size: 10 1/8 x 12 7/8 inches.

A rare plate from the "Vues des établissements missionnaires fondés par la communauté évangélique des Frères-Unis."

This superbly coloured print is one of a set of four plates depicting the various missionary establishments founded on the island of Antigua. Published by Birmann & Fils, Vues des établissements was intended to raise money for the missionary endeavors of the Moravian Church, a Protestant sect that was originally known as the Unitas Fratrum. In 1741, the Moravians founded its missionary arm, the Society for the Furtherance of the Gospel (S.F.G.), which began its activities in Antigua and other Caribbean islands in the 1760s. Founded in 1822, Cedar Hall, like Gracehill and Gracebay, was one of several Moravian churches established in Antigua during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century.

Item #12815

Price: $750.00

See all items in Topographical Views
See all items by