LAMBERT, After James (1725-c.1779)
A Perspective View of Brighthelmston, and of the Sea Coast as far as the Isle of Wight, Inscribed (by Permission) to His Royal Highness William Henry Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, Earl of Connaught of the Kingdom of Ireland, Ranger of Hampton Court Park, and Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter
London: Sold by James Lambert, Painter, at Lewes in Sussex, and Robert Sayer, Map and Printseller, [circa 1760]. Hand-coloured engraving on laid paper by Pierre Charles Canot. Heightened with small spots of gum arabic in the lower part of the image. Very good condition apart from some overall light soiling, a 1 1/4" tear in the left margin, and a skilfully repaired 2" loss in the lower right corner of the sheet. Sheet size: 18 1/2 x 26 5/8 inches. Plate mark: 16 3/8 x 24 5/8 inches.
A beautiful panoramic view of the English coastal town of Brighton.
Situated on the southeast coast of England, Brighton or 'Brighthelmston' as the town was originally known, was settled by the Saxons. Initially, it was a small, peaceful farming and fishing community, but it eventually expanded into a bustling fishing village and the second largest town in Sussex by the mid-seventeenth century. Its growth, however, was briefly curtailed in the early 1700s by the coastal erosion and violent storms that impaired the fishing industry. In the mid eighteenth-century, Dr. Richard Russell, a resident of the neighbouring town of Lewes, popularized his ideas regarding the therapeutic effects of seawater, and Brighton was consequently transformed into a popular resort town and a fashionable social destination for Londoners. A resident of Lewes, Sussex, James Lambert was a landscape and portrait painter and a member of the Society of Arts. He frequently exhibited in London at venues including the Royal Academy and is primarily known for his many watercolours of the countryside, architecture, and historical monuments of Sussex.
Cf. Benezit, Dictionnaire des Peintres Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs, et Graveurs, vol. 8, p. 198; cf. DNB.