SANDBY, after Thomas (1721-1798), engraved by CANOT
The New Building on Shrubs Hill
circa 1780. Hand-coloured engraving, printed on wove paper. Very good condition apart from some overall light soiling and a few small losses and skillfully repaired tears along the edge of the top margin. A few small surface abrasions along the exterior of the platemark. Trimmed virtually to the platemark on the right side. Sheet size: 16 1/4 x 24 7/8 inches. Plate mark: 13 3/4 x 22 7/8 inches.
A beautifully coloured print of the newly constructed Fort Belvedere in Windsor Forest, Berkshire. Erected by the Duke of Cumberland in 1755, Belvedere was expanded into a hunting lodge for King George IV. The triangular turreted structure was set amidst a dense plantation of trees and overlooked Virginia Water, a man-made body of water constructed by Thomas and Paul Sandby at the behest of the Duke. Belvedere was later renovated and inhabited by Edward VIII, Prince of Wales.
Brother of the celebrated artist Paul Sandby, the architect and draughtsman Thomas Sandby was an eminent artist in his own right. Essentially self-taught, he moved to London, where he assumed the position of draughtsman and personal secretary of William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, whom he attended on his military campaigns in Scotland and the Netherlands from 1743 to 1748. On these expeditions, he made many detailed sketches of the various battles, encampments, and scenery he observed. Upon being chosen ranger of Windsor Park in 1746, Cumberland appointed Sandby deputy ranger, a position he would hold for the duration of his life. During his tenure as deputy ranger, Sandby inhabited the lower lodge and was responsible for overseeing modifications made to the park's land and any renovations to its buildings including Cumberland Lodge. He illustrated the many projects he undertook, and several of his drawings and designs were engraved and published as folios. In addition to his duties at Windsor, Sandby designed a number of houses in the adjacent neighborhood and was appointed architect and master-carpenter of his majesty's works in 1777 and 1780 respectively. Like his brother, he was an original member of the Royal Academy, where he regularly taught and lectured on architecture.
Cf. Dictionary of National Biography.