MASON, James (1710-c.1786) after George LAMBERT (1710-1765), Samuel SCOTT (1710?-1772) & Coplestone Warre BAMBPFYLDE (d.1791)
A View of Hamoze and Plymouth Dock from Mount Edgcumbe
[London: Published J. Boydell, C. Bowles, R. Wilkinson and R. Sayer & Bennett, circa 1755]. Hand-coloured copper engraving, heightened by touches of gum arabic. Printed on fine laid paper. Very good condition apart from some minor foxing in the margins. Sheet size: 17 x 23 3/8 inches. Plate mark: 14 1/2 x 22 3/8 inches.
A panoramic view of the Hamoze estuary, which flows into the Plymouth Sound and joins the River Plym. This vibrantly coloured plate is from a series of five prints depicting the celebrated scenery of Mount Edgcumbe.
Taken from the pinnacle of Mount Edgcumbe peering over the verdant canopy of trees, this beautiful print affords a clear view of the busy Plymouth dockyard. Established in 1690, the docks have an extensive naval history and, by the late 1700s, were one of the principal bases of the Royal Navy. Fleets as well as solitary naval vessels were stationed there, and the dockyard was also actively engaged in the manufacturing of new ships. Situated in Cornwall on the slopes of the Rame peninsula overlooking the River Tamar and the Plymouth Sound, Mount Edgcumbe was the family seat of the Earls of Mount Edgcumbe. Amidst the lush parklands and eighteenth-century gardens for which Edgcumbe is famous, sits Mount Edgcumbe House, an impressive Tudor-style residence erected by Roger Palmer in 1547-53 at the behest of Sir Richard Edgcumbe of Cotehele.
Cf. Dictionary of National Biography.
Price: $850.00 save 20% $680.00