STADLER, Joseph Constantine (1780-1812) after Colonel Francis Swain WARD
A Choutry, Or Place of Worship, Carved out of the top of the Rock of Trichinopoly, in high repute, by the Malabars
London: Published by Edward Orme, 1802. Hand-coloured aquatint engraving by Stadler after Colonel Ward, a skilled amateur artist and member of the Madras Army. Very good condition apart from some light soiling and minor foxing in the margins. Sheet size: 17 1/4 x 21 inches. Plate mark: 15 3/8 x 18 1/4 inches.
An excellent view from Francis Blagdon's "Brief History of Ancient and Modern India," which was comprised of plates after drawings William Orme made of the paintings in the collection of Richard Chase Esquire by Ward and the renowned landscape artists Thomas and William Daniell.
Located in a district of Southern India that was once under British rule, the Trichinopoly Rock is a renowned landmark that dominates the town of Tiruchirapalli and overlooks the surrounding landscape. A number of Pallava cave temples are carved into the rock, on top of which sits the ornate multiple-pillared Vinayaka Temple most likely pictured here.
Cf. Abbey, Travel , vol. II, 424.; cf. Tooley 93.