TANNER, H.[enry] S.[chenck] (1786-1858)
Ohio and Indiana ... Improved to 1825
Philadelphia: H. S. Tanner, 1825. Copper-engraving with full period color. Sheet size: 23 3/4 x 31 3/8 inches. Plate mark: 23 1/8 x 28 inches.
An important early mapping of Ohio and Indiana: the significant second issue, reflecting new boundaries in northern Indiana created by Indian treaties.
Henry Tanner's A New American Atlas, was the most distinguished atlas published in America during the nineteenth century. The maps were carefully constructed from the best and most recent surveys. They were finely engraved on a large-scale, printed on high quality paper, and carefully hand colored. Because of the great expense involved in the production and publication, the atlas was published in five parts between 1819 and 1823. The map of Ohio and Indiana originally appeared in the second part of the atlas, published in 1819. Tanner drew upon a number of important surveys, including those of Bourne, Ellicott, Volney, Darby, Kilbourn, and others. The first issue of the map is noted as being one of the earliest maps of Indiana as a state (1816). This second revised edition of the map from 1823, however, reflects the enormous changes in the region. Besides the addition of numerous counties in western Ohio, the mapping of northern Indiana changed completely following a series of Indian treaties in 1818 and 1819, including the important October 1818 Treaty of St. Mary's with the Miami. Virtually all of Indiana north of the Wabash is shown as the land of the Miami. The Delawares, who had ceded their Indiana lands in October 1818, are no longer mentioned. Several counties now appear in the state north of the 40th parallel. Other changes include the additions of many new roads, including a lengthy trail extending from Fort Wayne to Fort Dearborn.
Phillips, Atlases, 3669-12 ;cf. Ristow, American Maps and Mapmakers, pps. 191-198; Rumsey 2755.012; cf. Sabin 94323.