FORTIER, Claude-François (1775-1835) after COURVOISSIER
Vue de la 2ême Entrée du Grand Trianon
Paris: Published by chez Basset, circa 1800. Hand-coloured engraving heightened with touches of gum arabic. Printed on laid paper. Very good condition. Good condition apart from some overall light soiling, minor foxing, and a few small tears in the margins. Sheet size: 16 1/2 x 21 3/4 inches. Plate mark: 13 5/8 x 18 5/8 inches.
A broad view of the opulent lodge and landscaped grounds of the Grand Trianon at Versailles.
Built in 1678 by the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart (1646-1708), the palatial Grand Trianon was erected on the site of the former Trianon of Porcelain, a small pavilion constructed for Louis XIV by Louis Le Vau (1612-1670) in 1670. It was primarily intended as a country retreat and was a sprawling Italianate edifice with a colonnaded portico designed under the specific direction of the Sun King. The landscape architect André Le Notre (1613-1700) laid out the extensive gardens surrounding it. Adjacent to the Grand Trianon, though not visible in this fine print, is the more modest Greek-style Petit Trianon, another country retreat that was later constructed in 1760s at the behest of Louis XV for his mistress, Madame de Pompadour.