CAMPBELL, Colen (1676 - 1729) engraved by H. HULSBERGH
The North Prospect of Cliefden House in Buckinghamshire the Seat of the Right Hon:ble The Earl of Orkney...
London: Published by Colen Campbell, 1725. Engraved by Henry Hulsbergh. Watermarked laid paper. A few spots. Repaired split at bottom of centerfold. Browning at edges. Sheet size: 19 3/4 x 26 1/2 inches. Plate mark: 10 x 19 1/2 inches.
A noble British Palladian facade from Colen Campbell's "Vitruvius Britannicus."
Colen Campbell's Vitruvius Britannicus is considered one of the greatest eighteenth-century English architectural works. Campbell's seminal text helped establish Palladianism as the English national style and gave a unified façade to England's architectural landscape. Campbell published the first three volumes between 1715 and 1725, but the text was continued in two subsequent volumes by Woolfe and Gandon in 1767 and 1771. The work is comprised of large, finely engraved illustrations, plans, and cross sections of English country houses and parks.
This rendition of the north facade of Cliefden was drawn by Campbell and engraved by Henry Hulsbergh (d.1729). Colen Campbell (1676-1729) was a descendant of the Campbells of Cawdor Castle in Scotland. As an architect, he favored the Palladian style and through his own designs and with Vitruvius Britannicus successfully established it as the dominant style in great houses, public and private, in England.
Cliefden House near Maidenhead was at one time a residence of Frederick, Prince of Wales, son of George II, but outlived by his father. The building burnt down in 1795.