AMERICAN School, mid-19th century
[The U.S. Mail propeller "Liberty" leaving harbor in company with the steam propeller "Cuba"] (proof before letters)
[N.p. but United States: n.d. but circa 1867 or later]. Hand-coloured lithograph, proof before letters. Ocassional marginal repairs. Sheet size: 21 3/4 x 38 3/4 inches. Image area: 17 1/4 x 35 inches.
A very rare proof before letters of this spectacular image of two early steam propeller ships leaving harbor off the eastern coast of the United States.
The Cuba and the Liberty were in the late 1860s mail ships sailing between Baltimore and Havana, with stops along the way including Key West. The Cuba was built in Fairhaven and launched in 1863, serving as a transport for the U. S. Navy. After the war, she became a mail ship in tandem with the Liberty. The Liberty was built in Philadelphia in 1864.
A Descriptive Catalogue of the Marine Collection to be found at India House (New York: 1935) item number 276.
Price: $3,850.00 save 20% $3,080.00