[YACHTING] - Nathaniel Livermore STEBBINS (1847-1922, photographer)
A vintage photograph of the Schooner "Thomas W. Lawson"
[Boston?]: Nathaniel Livermore Stebbins, 1902. Albumen-print photograph by N.L. Stebbins. 7 1/8 x 9 1/2 inches, Signed in the negative lower left: " ...Thomas W. Lawson / Copyright 1902 by N.L. Stebbins"
An extraordinary image of the largest schooner ever built.
The steel-hulled Thomas W. Lawson was the only seven-masted schooner ever built: at 395 feet long, and at 5218 tons, she was also the largest schooner ever built. From the boatyard of the Fore River Ship & Engine Building Co., Quincy, MA she was launched in 1902, was owned by Coastwise Transportation Co. of Boston and was used to transport coal and oil. Her seven masts were called the fore mast, main mast, mizzen mast, number 4, number 5, number 6, and spanker mast (although number 4,5,6 might also have been called "jigger mast", "driver mast" and "pusher mast", and they were apparently called after the days of the week by her crew).