Ansicht von Worms Vue de Worms
Vienna: Artaria & Comp. 1798. Sheet size: 16 1/4 x 21 1/4 inches.
A fine view of the city of Worms, a river-port on the Rhine, twelve miles north-north-west of Mannheim.
Hand-coloured aquatint etching by Ziegler after Janscha, with contemporary ruled and wash border. Accompanying the plate is a descriptive leaf of letterpess text, in French and German, with a contemporary manuscript English translation beneath `After passing the little island of Neusatz, the Rhine arrives at Worms… situated in the Lower Palatinate beyond the Rhine. The surrounding countryside produces much corn & rape seed also the excellent wine known as "Liebfraumilch"… The Church in the middle of the picture belongs to the Protestants who built it in 1725. The Catholics although they are few in number possess the Dome Church & four others. The Lutherans also have one. The residence of the bishop & the Town Hall are worthy of note it was in the latter that Luther appeared in 1521 at the Diet before the Emperor Charles 5th. It was at Worms that a treaty was concluded in 1743 between Marie Thérése & the kings of England & Sardinia'. This view comes from a work published in Vienna in 1798 entitled `Collection de cinquante vues du Rhin'. Janscha (1749-1812), born in Hungary, studied at the Vienna academy of arts, and later, in 1801, was appointed a professor of the same institution. The engraver Johann Ziegler (1750-1812) also studied at the Vienna academy and in addition to the present work he collaborated with Karl Schutz to produce a collection of 50 views of Vienna and its environs.
Cf. Guide 46-48.