BURR, David H. (1803-1875)
City of New York
[New York: Engraved and printed by S. Stiles and Co., circa 1840]. Engraved folding pocket map. Folds into period blue cloth covers with paper label on upper cover and Burr ad on front pastedown. Contemporary manuscript annotations identifying plots of early landowners or sites with 34 manuscript numbered references in the right margin. Sheet size: 22 x 17 1/2 inches.
Burr's map was one of the finest and most beautiful for New York of the period. It was originally published in 1832, without text. In the following year, J.H. Colton bought Burr's publication rights, had the map re-engraved by S. Stiles. The map shows the city as far north as 34th Street.
This copy of the map includes interesting contemporary manuscript annotations. An early owner had references 34 plots of land ownership, including those by Brevoort, Roosevelt, Rutgers, Dey, Ivers, Delancey and Astor. Also noted are Trinity Church and the "Negro Burying Ground."