Suevia Universa IX Tabulæs Delineata
Augsburg: M. Seutter, 1725. Nine linen-backed dissected panels, differing slightly in size, but averaging 20 x 21 inches, which if joined would form a map of approximately 60 x 63 inches, with mapseller's label of 'Goujon, Paris' on back of each panel, modern black cloth box, black morocco lettering piece.
This is one of the finest maps of modern-day Baden-Wurttemberg ever produced, an especially decorative and monumental composition, engraved by the master Matthäus Seutter, in excellent condition
This rare map is one of the finest representations of southwestern Germany made in the eighteenth-century. This map was devised by Jacques Michal, and is the result of his collaboration with Matthäus Seutter (1678-1757) of Augsburg, who by this time had established himself as one of the most important figures in German cartography, and had the distinction of being the royal engraver to Charles VI, the Holy Roman Emperor. The artistic virtuosity and elegant colouring of this finely engraved composition makes this one of the finest works to appear from his workshop. The great scale of the map succeeds in capturing a large area in extensive detail, embracing the territory from the Rhine in the west to the Austrian Alps in the east, and Switzerland in the south up to the borders of Franconia in the north. Numerous important towns and cities are shown; including Stuttgart, Zürich, Basle, Strasbourg, Heidelberg, Speyer, Augsburg, Ulm, along with the principality of Liechtenstein. Physical aspects of the countryside are enlivened by the richness of detail, including the depiction of forests, mountains, rivers, and lakes. Each of the numerous principalities, bishoprics and cantons are distinguished by different colours. The political and ecclesiastical role of each region, town and country church is conveyed by use of ornate symbols, all explained by a detailed legend in the upper-right corner of the map. The upper-left corner features a fine late-Baroque title cartouche, featuring imperial and religious regalia and cornucopia, alluding to the region's bountiful agricultural production. In the opposing corner are five finely engraved allegorical personifications of the rivers Rhine, Iler, Lech, Neckar and the Danube that symbolically nourish the countryside.