EAS[T]BURN, Benjamin [but after Nicholas SCULL, Matthew CLARKSON and Mary BIDDLE].
A Plan of the City of Philadelphia, the Capital of Pennsylvania, from an Actual Survey by Benjamin Easburn, Surveyor General; 1776. [Inset] A Chart of Delaware Bay and River, after Mr. Fisher of Philadlephia. 1776
London: Andrew Dury, 4 November 1776. Double-page engraved map, hand colored, on watermarked laid paper. Sheet size: 21 1/2 x 28 5/8 inches. Excellent condition. 1st state without the engraver's name.
The most detailed map of Philadelphia issued at the start of the Revolution
"With the start of the Revolution, demand arose in Europe in 1776 for detailed information about the centers of population in America. Andrew Dury, a print publisher in London, was the first person to respond as to Philadelphia. He reissued the Clarkson-Biddle map of 1762 in the same size as the original, showing all important buildings inside the city" (Snyder). The Clarkson-Biddle map was originally published by Philadelphia engraver and print seller Matthew Clarkson and Nicholas Scull's daughter Mary Biddle. Famed Philadelphia cartographer Nicholas Scull (1687-1761) had drafted the original plan for the map, but died before it could be realized. Published in Philadelphia in 1762, the map was the most detailed depiction of the interior of the city produced to that time. There were two inset maps on the Clarkson-Biddle map, one of which was by Benjamin Eastburn, (who was Scull's predecessor as Surveyor General). Eastburne's name appeared as the cartographer of one of the inset maps on Scull's chart and is presumably the cause of the mis-attribution by Dury. The Easburn map was issued just 4 months after the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It is a faithful rendition of Scull's map with the addition of an inset map of Fisher's Delaware River and Bay, first issued in 1756. Andrew Dury's re-engraving of the Clarkson-Biddle map (which makes the erroneous attribution of the map to Eastburn, and the misspelling "Easburn") reproduces Scull's map with its extraordinary detail: all slips and wharves are identified (with the names of their owners), numerous churches including the Swede's Church, Christ Church, St. Paul's Chuch, the Lutheran Church and many more, various Quaker meeting houses, the Quaker School, the Court House and Market (additionally identified as the location of the Continental Congress), the State House, the jail, Pennsylvania Hospital, the Loganian Library, the Academy and College, and much more.
Nebenzahl, Atlas of the American Revolution 27; Nebenzahl & Higgenbotham illustrated 120-121; Phillips Maps 699; Sellers & Van Ee 1312-1313; Snyder, COI 44 (this copy illustrated as colorplate 3); Streeter Sale 979.