CURRIER, NATHANIEL (1813-1888)
The High Bridge at Harlem, N. Y. This magnificent bridge of stone, forms part of the immense works erected to bring the water of the Croton river to the City of New York. The length of the aqueduct from the Croton river to the city Hall is 44 1/4 miles and cost about $ 13,000,000
New York: N. Currier, 1849. Hand-colored lithograph. Small folio. Framed. Image size (including text): 9 1/8 x 12 7/8, sight. Bird's-eye maple with gold liner, French mat. 19 1/4 x 22 3/8"
The High Bridge (originally the Aqueduct Bridge) is the oldest bridge in New York City, having originally opened as part of the Croton Aqueduct in 1848. Originally designed as a stone arch bridge, the High Bridge had the appearance of a Roman aqueduct. Construction on the bridge was started in 1837, and was completed in 1848 as part of the Croton Aqueduct, which carried water from the Croton River to supply the then burgeoning city of New York. Nathaniel Currier (1813-1888) never neglected a major public works project in the City. This is one of the earliest, before Ives was elevated to partner, and it has an idyllic feel, showing a very peaceful and pleasant Harlem River. A man fishes from a wooden bridge, there are two men in a rowboat, representing the only human activity on the river. In the foreground, a man in a small coach trots towards the bridge. The aqueduct stands a fair distance from the viewer.