HILL, John (1770-1850) after William Guy WALL (1792-after 1864)
New York From Weehawk
New York: G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1828. Aquatint and engraving, with hand-colouring by John Hill. On paper watermarked J. Whatman 1828. Sheet size: 20 x 28 3/8 inches.
The Wall view of Manhattan from Weehawken.
The steeple at the right end of Manhattan Island is Trinity Church; that at the extreme left of the view is St. John's Chapel. Connected to the tip of the island by a bridge is Castle Clinton (now Castle Garden). Governor's Island, with Castle Fort William, lies just off Manhattan. In the right middle distance, forming part of the Jersey shoreline, is Steven's Point. In the distance, the Narrows dividing Brooklyn and Staten Island. This view, together with the companion New York from the Heights near Brooklyn, forms "one of the most beautiful pairs of views of New York in the early nineteenth century" (Stokes, American Historical Prints, op.cit.). A contemporary newspaper article noted that the "views taken by Mr. Wall are the most accurate descriptions that we have seen. One of them is taken from Brooklyn Heights, near the Distillery of the Messrs. Pierponts, and the other from the Mountain at Weehawk. Mr. Wall at first made a drawing from the high land back of Hoboken; but the view from Weehawk is far preferable, as it not only affords a commanding prospect of the city but also of the whole of our beautiful harbor, with all the islands, &c." The original watercolor is preserved in The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Stauffer 616; Stokes, American Historical Prints, c.1820-23-E-98; Stokes, The Iconography of Manhattan Island, vol. III, pp.557-579, illustrated plate 92; Koke, Checklist of John Hill, number 95; Déak, Picturing America, number 336, illustrated.