[GROS DE BOZE, Claude (1680-1753)]
Histoire de l'Académie Royale des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres Depuis son Establissement, avec les Eloges des Academiciens Morts depuis son Renouvellement
Paris: Hippolyte-Louis Guerin, 1740. Three volumes, octavo. (6 9/16 x 4 1/8 inches). Engraved frontispiece by Jean Daullé after Antoine Coypel; engraved title vignettes, head- and tail-pieces. Half-title in each volume.
Contemporary French red morocco, arms of the Count of Maurepas on covers, spine in six compartments with raised bands, lettered in the second and third, others with a repeat decoration in gilt, marbled endpapers, all edges gilt.
Provenance: Jean-Frédéric Phélypeaux, 1st Count of Maurepas (1701-1781)
The history of one of France's major learned academies, in a fine red morocco binding.
The Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres, founded in 1663 and initially organized by Louis XIV's finance minister, Jean-Baptiste Colbert, is a French learned society devoted to the humanities and one of the five academies of the Institut de France. Among its original members were Jean Chapelain, François Charpentier, Jacques Cassagne, Amable de Bourzeys, and Charles Perrault. According to its charter, it is primarily concerned with the study of the monuments, documents, languages, and cultures of the civilizations of antiquity, the Middle Ages, and the classical period around the world. The author of this work, Claude Gros de Boze, was a French scholar and numismatist who became a member of the Académie around 1700. In 1706, he was made the organization's secretary, and in 1715 he was elected to the Académie Française. In 1719, he became a curator at the Cabinet des Médailles, a post he held for the remainder of his life.