HÉRÉ DE CORNY, Emmanuel (1705-1763)
Recueil des plans élévations et coupes, tant geometrales qu'en perspective des chateaux, jardins, et dependances que le Roy de Pologne occupe en Lorraine y compris les batimens qu'il a fait elever, ainsi que les changemens considerables, les decorations et autres enrichissemens qu'il fait faire a ceux qui etoiens deja construit. (WITH): Plans et elevations dela Place Royale de Nancy.
Paris: Francois, (1750)-1753. Folio; 3 vols. 25 x 19" 82 engraved plates: composed of 3 titles within rich ornamental borders by Lattré, 2 allegorical frontispieces (not in vol. 2) by Jean Charles François after P. Girardet, 2 engraved dedications to the French King, 75 engraved plates, plans and elevations (47 double-paged, 11 folding) of which 3 folding plates depicting the Castle Lunéville with its gardens, kiosk and "Rocher", the Castle and Gardens of Chanteheux, the Royal Menagery, the Castle and Gardens of Malgrange, and the Royal Place at Nancy.
Contemporary marbled calf, gilt borders on sides, gilt-stamped coat of arms of the Polish King Stanislas Leczinski; spine gilt in compartments, red morocco lettering piece, gilt inner dentelles, gilt edges.
Rare first edition of one of the greatest 18th century books on architecture, most luxuriously and expensively produced in the size and style of the famous "Cabinet du Roi". The volumes were composed, designed and engraved by Emmanuel Héré de Corny (1705-1763), a French architect, and Jean Charles François (1717-1769).
Emmanuel Héré de Corny became the head architect to the Polish King, Stanislas Leczinski and he almost single-handed designed the plans and directed the works. 'These luxurious volumes, produced to promote Stanislaw's claims to royalty and his connections with the Royal house of France (his daughter was married to Louis XV in 1725), were designed in the manner of Royal books of ceremonies, coronations, solemn entries, and funerary rites, by which sovereigns made known the majesty of their reign'. (Millard). The first two volumes produced together in 1750 illustrate designs for the chateaux, parks, and garden pavilions Héré de Corny executed for Stanislaw: Luneville, Chanteheux, Commercy amongst others. The third volume was published three years later and is entirely set aside to illustrate plans for the Place Royale de Nancy. In addition to plans and views of the three interconnected spaces in Nancy, the volume contains the designs of the structures adorning the processional route, including the Hotel de Ville, the Hotel Consulate, the Bourse de Commerce, and the Palace of the Military Government, as well as the triumphal arches, statues, fountains, and wrought iron grilles that ornamented the spaces. The ensemble is one of the major works of urban design of the eighteenth century.
Brunet III, 113; Berlin Katalog 2511; Millard French Books 78; Cicognara 4024; Cohen-De Ricci, 485-6; Oudin (B.), Dictionnaire des architectes, Seghers, 1994, pp. 226-227; Charles-Gaffiot (J., dir.), Luneville, fastes du Versailles lorrain, Carpentier, 2003 pp. 145-149.