ROBERTSON, After George (1749-1788). Engraved by Thomas MORRIS
A View of the Ranger's House in the Park, and Part of the Town of Greenwich
London: John Boydell, 1 January 1781. Engraving, coloured by hand, by Thomas Morris. Image size (including text): 14 x 20 1/2 inches. Sheet size: 17 1/2 x 23 5/8 inches.
A fine copy of this lively and accurate view of the Ranger's House in Greenwich, London.
George Robertson, 'born in London about 1748, was son of a wine merchant, and received his education from a Mr. Rolfe in Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell. He studied art at Shipley's school, and was noted there for his skill in drawing horses, for which he received a premium from the Society of Arts in 1761. He afterwards went to Italy, and studied in Rome. He was patronised by William Beckford (1709-1770)... with whom Robertson went to Jamaica, where Beckford had a large property. Robertson drew several views of this property in Jamaica, which on his return were finely engraved by D. Lerpinière, T. Vivares, and J. Mason, and published by John Boydell. He also exhibited views of Jamaica and other landscapes at the Incorporated Society of Artists' exhibitions, acting as vice-president of the society for some years. He obtained employment in London as a drawing-master, notably at a ladies' boarding school in Queen Square, Bloomsbury. He inherited a small fortune from an uncle and a house in Newington Butts, where he died on 26 Sept. 1788, aged about 40.' (DNB). Thomas Morris (fl. 1780-1800), 'born about 1750, was a pupil of Woollett. He worked in the line manner, and confined himself to landscape, the figures in his plates being frequently put in by others. Morris was employed by Boydell... His most important plates are: A landscape after G. Smith of Chichester, 1774; Hawking, after Gilpin, 1780; Fox Hunting, after Gilpin and Barret (the figures by Bartolozzi), 1783; view of Skiddaw, after Loutherbourg, 1787; Horse, Mare, and Foals, after Gilpin; Mare and Foals, after Garrard, 1793; views of the ranger's house in Greenwich Park and Sir Gregory Turner's mansion on Blackheath, a pair, after Robertson; and views of Ludgate Street and Fish Street Hill, a pair, after Marlow, 1795. A series of Indian views, from drawings by Hodges and others, was engraved by Morris for the European Magazine. He also executed a few original etchings, including two views on the Avon at Bristol, 1802.' (DNB).